Many Chinese Gung Fu (Kung Fu) systems use hardwood dao (saber or single-edged swords) as part of their training regimen. Raven Studios hardwood training dao are designed to withstand the rigors of partner training and are also well suited for forms and solo technique practice. I feel it is important that each training sword mimic a real swords performance and feel as closely as possible, therefore these hardwood practice swords are constructed with the following qualities:
- Patterned after real swords. I strive to maintain historical accuracy.
- The blades are made from Hickory.
- The blades are made with a ricasso for added strength and the edges are rounded for durability.
- The hilt is made from your choice of Hickory, Jatoba or Purple Heart.
- The guards are made from two laminated cross grained pieces of wood for maximum strength and durability. The guards are locked into the blades and can not slide or loosen.
- The blades have a full tang and the handles are constructed with laminated hardwood slabs.
- The handle is oval shaped for comfort, blade orientation, and control of the sword.
- On some of the dao below you can choose either a pointed or a rounded blade tip. Blades made with a pointed tip are suitable for forms and solo technique training. Blades made with a rounded tip are more robust and provide added safety for partner training. (Wearing eye protection is ALWAYS recommended during partner training)
- Finished with a linseed and tung oil blend which penetrates into the wood to create a tough and durable surface.
Custom Training Swords
If you would like one of the standard swords (seen below) with your own special specifications, or you’d like a type of sword not found on this website, supply a written description with a photo or drawing and I’ll let you know if it’s something I can make for you. Please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org for a price quote and timeline. (No fantasy or cartoon sword requests please. R.S. wasters are not toys, they are designed for serious martial arts training.)
Showing all 12 results
Ox Tail Saber (Niu Wei Dao)$129.00–$144.00 Select options
Willow Leaf Saber (Liu Ye Dao)$124.00–$139.00 Select options
Goose Quill Saber (Yan Mao Dao)$124.00–$139.00 Select options
Han Shuang Shou Dao$126.00–$146.00 Select options
Double Ox Tail Saber (Shuang Dao)$258.00–$288.00 Select options
Tang Dao$126.00–$146.00 Select options
Tai Chi Dao$139.00–$154.00 Select options
Tai Chi Chang Dao$149.00–$169.00 Select options
Two-Handed Da Dao$129.00–$149.00 Select options
Miao Dao (Sprout Saber)$149.00–$169.00 Select options
Ba Gua Dao$149.00–$169.00 Select options
Ba Gua Da Dao$178.00–$198.00 Select options