- Swords and Training Weaponry - Raven Studios hardwood training swords (wasters, bokken) and other weaponry are designed to combine maximum durability and proper balance for years of rigorous training. Suitable for sparring as well as for forms, solo technique practice, and controlled pell (dummy) practice.
Wooden practice weapons have been used in the training halls of Eastern and Western martial artists for centuries. While training with a finely crafted wooden sword, with proper instruction, the student of the sword can develop their skills and improve control, timing, structure, positioning, and many other principals of swordsmanship.
- Custom Work - Raven Studios gives you the freedom to design your own training weapon, or you can modify one of our products to fit your needs. If you have a special sword or practice weapon that you would like replicated, send me the design specifications (a photo and/or drawing is suggested) and I'll let you know if it's something I can do for you. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for a quote.
(No fantasy or cartoon sword requests please. RS wasters are not toys, they are designed for serious martial arts training)
- Wooden Dummies - Raven Studios Mok Yan Jong are engineered to last. Each jong is individually fashioned from carefully selected hard maple lumber. Hard maple is an extremely durable wood with very tight grain structure. Fabricating the dummies with laminate construction techniques results in maximum durability, reducing the risk of cracking or splitting, for a jong that is solid, rugged, and could be proudly passed down from generation to generation.
Customers are placed on a waiting list for wooden dummies. At this time I am able to make 6 to 7 dummies per year. There are usually anywhere from 3 to as many as 15 people on the waiting list. To inquire about placing a wooden dummy order, or to ensure a place on the waiting list, please contact me by email or phone. For more info please see the Mok Yan Jong page.
A less expensive alternative is the PVC dummy body with wooden arms and leg. This jong is also very rugged, durable, great for outdoor use and is easy to transport. There is no waiting list for the PVC jong, like there is for the wooden dummy and the turn around time is normally about 12 weeks.
Being a martial artist myself, my goal is to create a practice weapon or jong that will both accompany you during endless hours of martial arts training and be your cherished companion for many years to come!
Thanks to the ongoing feedback from many knowledgeable martial artists, Raven Studios will continue to refine and improve and serve the worlds martial arts community.
Many thanks to ALL of my customers for your continued support. Train well!
- Hickory (From North America) - Light cream to tan color with brown streaks. Extremely tough and resilient with outstanding impact strength. Typically used for various sports equipment and tool handles.
- Jatoba (From Central and tropical South America) - Also called Brazilian cherry. Russet to reddish brown with an interlocking straight grain. Very hard, heavy, and tough. Very similar in structure to Purple Heart. Typically used for flooring, railroad cross ties, gear cogs, and other specialty items.
- Purple Heart - (From Mexico to tropical South America) Dull gray brown when freshly cut but soon oxidizing to a violet purple, darkening over time. A very hard and heavy wood with straight grain. Typically used for industrial construction, ship building, and flooring.
- Hard Maple - (From North America) Also called rock maple, sugar maple, or country maple. Light cream color with brown streaks. Known for it's durability and strength with tight grain structure and fine texture. Typically used for bowling pins, bowling allies & other flooring, cutting blocks, and baseball bats.
- White Oak (Quarter-sawn) - (From North America) Beige to creamy tan, Very tough with good impact strength. Quarter-sawn lumber has very straight grain which results in more impact strength and less warping. Typically used for boat building, bridges, flooring, mining timbers, and furniture.